What is Health Psychology?
The American Psychological Association relates that health psychology “Examines how biological, social and psychological factors influence health and illness. Health psychologists use psychological science to promote health, prevent illness and improve health care systems.” There is a considerable body of research that demonstrates how psychological treatments can help people address various health concerns.
- Relaxation for chronic pain problems
- Mindfulness as part of weight loss program
- Behavioral programs for smoking cessation
- Cognitive Behavioral treatment of sleep disorders
- Psychotherapy for depression related to cancer
- Cognitive Processing Therapy for trauma related to medical treatments
- Guided Imagery for irritable bowel syndrome
There is almost no limit to how psychological treatments can be effectively applied to various medical challenges. If you are struggling with a medical challenge, you can call or email us to see how our services might assist you. We are also more than happy to work with your other doctors to coordinate your care in the most effective manner possible.
For more information on health psychology: http://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/health.aspx